About Steven Biggs
farm writer, food writer, garden writer, Professional speaker
As an urbanite with a horticultural science major and work experience in the agricultural sector, I make sense of farm, garden, and food issues for the urban public—and write about urban food thinkers, trends, and happenings for the farm sector.
FARM, GARDEN, FOOD Experience
I have worked in horticulture and agriculture for more than 25 years. Along with a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture from the University of Guelph, I have worked in greenhouse and nursery production, plant propagation, biological controls, horticultural supplies, and farm marketing.
My COMMUNICATIONS Work
- Author. I write gardening books that are fun and practical.
- Freelance Journalism. I write about the food chain: farms, farm business, food, food processing, and gardening.
- Professional Speaker. I speak about a range of gardening topics.
Where to Find Me
- In Person. Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- On the Web. stevenbiggs.ca and gardencoacheschat.com. I blog...but only sometimes, so don't expect regular posts.
Other Parts of my Life
- Children. Raising three young children. This is why I only blog once in a while.
- Garden. It's a passion. I love climbing onto my garage roof before the sun rises to check my rooftop garden. And I have a lot of fun with my fig collection (see my fig website.)
- Food. Admission—I actually enjoy grocery shopping. Food really interests me. So I've been known to do silly things like making parsnip wine or coming home with a few chickens so we can have really fresh eggs.
- The Outdoors. I love foraging for mushrooms with my kids, camping, or just going for a picnic.
- Community. Toronto is an amazing city for food. Southern Ontario has diverse agricultural and horticultural operations, giving me lots of neat things for to write about. I live in a part of Toronto called Willowdale, where I've found that one of the best way to meet my neighbours is to garden in my front yard.
More About My writing
I write practical and fun gardening books. I am the author of Grow-Gardeners. Kid-Tested Gardening with Children, Grow Figs Where You Think You Can't, No Guff Vegetable Gardening, and No Nonsense Vegetable Gardening.
Grow Figs Where You Think You Can't won a Silver Award of Achievement from the Garden Writers Association.
I write about farming, farm business, gardening, food, and the food system.
- Monthly Press Reporting Award (Silver), Canadian Farm Writers' Federation, for Their Success is No Secret, 2012. CLICK HERE TO READ THEIR SUCCESS IS NO SECRET.
- Best Press Feature Award (Bronze), Canadian Farm Writers' Federation, for On Camera.,2011. CLICK HERE TO READ ON CAMERA.
- Outstanding Article Award, American Society of Journalists and Authors, for Farm Direct, 2011. CLICK HERE TO READ FARM DIRECT.
My articles take readers into areas as diverse as crop marketing, farm business branding, food-processing companies, farming novelty crops, consumer food trends, food and demographics, agritourism, farm energy production, food distribution, direct-to-consumer sales, food policy, farm advisors, farm succession, retail food issues, prominent players in the agri-food system, home gardening, and gardening with kids.
I have written for a number of print magazines including Country Guide (Contributing Editor), Garden Making, Clublink Life, Spacing, Today's Parent, Open Skies, Edible Toronto, Small Farm Canada, Trellis, Canadian Property Management, Energy Procurement and Conservation.
Need a thoughtful article? Need a compelling talk?
Need clean copy? On time?
The ▪ Food ▪ Chain
Farm Writer. Food Writer. Garden Writer. Garden Speaker.